PEPY Empowering Youth • Cambodia
“Connecting Cambodian Youth to the skills, opportunities, and inspirations needed to reach their potential.” This is the mission of PEPY Empowering Youth, a local Cambodian NGO non-profit that educates and empowers youth in underserved and remote communities outside of Siem Reap city. With an intimate understanding of barriers affecting students’ continuing their studies, PEPY staff often become students’ first role models while building their capacity to achieve their dreams through academic, technical, and professional training. Through PEPY, students’ rates of moving onto higher education and obtaining skilled employment are increasing.
PEPY’s unique approach to education development focuses on high school and higher education students – an age group often overlooked – while targeting remote areas where higher education is uncommon and often financially impossible. PEPY’s comprehensive programs go beyond typical scholarship programs, guaranteeing all students graduate and find jobs while continuing their studies.
- The Dream Management Project operates in 4 remote high schools connecting over 1,000 students a year to higher education and employment opportunities, with planning and goal setting courses. Dream includes job fairs with local business partners, scholarship referrals, tours to higher education and vocational institutions, and mentoring.
- The Scholarship Program has enabled 187 students from over 138 villages to study at universities and vocational institutions in Siem Reap city. The scholarship covers tuition, housing, healthcare, and living allowance, along with access to PEPY’s Learning Center for professional and personal support.
- The Learning Center provides 60 students a year’s instruction of English, technology, and soft-skills classes – subjects valued by employers but lacking in most public education settings. Courses include art, team projects, and writing, encouraging leadership, confidence, and creativity. Local government officially recognizes the center’s graduation certificate, enabling students to find skilled employment.
WORKING IN PARTNERSHIP
PEPY has partnered with GoPhilanthropic since 2016. With the GoPhil Community’s trust and belief in PEPY, the following contributions have been made to support PEPY programs:
- Salary support for skilled English and Youth Empowerment class teachers, to improve students’ soft skills with the goal of increasing their employability and networking skills;
- The provision and installation of computers and software for the ICT lab, and contributions toward running costs, including internet service;
- Support for additional ICT classes for scholarship students, teaching the fundamentals of computers, internet use and Microsoft Office;
- Support for the Dream Management Project and classes;
- Capacity-building and leadership opportunities for local staff.
VIDEO: PEPY Introduction
VIDEO: Scholarship Program
WHAT MAKES PEPY UNIQUE?
Without PEPY, students over 60-km from Siem Reap city would not have the access or wherewithal to pursue higher education. Furthermore, many PEPY team members are former beneficiaries of PEPY projects where PEPY currently operates. They are dedicated to PEPY’s mission and understand the barriers affecting students’ abilities to access higher education.
Through an interwoven and holistic curriculum, PEPY has a strong record of delivering effective courses and matching their students with stable and impactful work.
LATEST NEWS FROM THE FRONTLINE
Insight to GoPhil’s Key Sectors: Why Education?
As you might have learned from our previous GoPhil’s key sectors blog post on health care, or observed by going through our site, we focus on 3 key sectors of development: health, human rights, and
GoPhil’s Rapid Response Fund: A year of global impact throughout the COVID-19 crisis
In April 2020, we launched our Rapid Response Fund (RRF) to support the immediate needs of our partners as they responded to crises on the ground throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. Our partners, who all work
GoPhilanthropic Foundation and PEPY Empowering Youth work together to #ShiftThePower in philanthropy and development!
Linda DeWolf (GoPhil Co-founder), Emily Bild (GoPhil Director of Programs) and Rith Sarakk (former Executive Director of PEPY Empowering Youth) were very fortunate to be invited to lead a session at the Council on Foundations